Be Something Amazing was created by the South Carolina Hospital Association to provide individuals with meaningful materials to help them learn more about the abundant career choices available in health care today. Additionally, Be Something Amazing provides video resources and detailed information about the education requirements, job skills, and employment outlook for a wide variety of careers in health care, many available with as little as two years of post-high school education.
By helping individuals find a health career that takes advantage of their strengths, we hope to avoid an impending shortage of health care workers and build a stronger health care workforce in South Carolina.
Be Something Amazing is an initiative of the South Carolina Hospital Association designed to encourage students to consider the wide range of health professions available and provide guidance to students seeking information about health careers.
The South Carolina General Assembly has provided funds to the South Carolina Department of Education (SCDE) through a legislative proviso (2016 General Appropriations Bill H.5001, Proviso 1A.34) for one year to award grants on a competitive basis to private-sector statewide trade associations that provide nationally certified programs in career and technology education representing the automotive, construction, engineering, healthcare, mechanical contracting/construction, and hospitality and tourism career clusters. The purpose of this program is to support instructor/student training and student testing in industry clusters to increase the state's skilled workforce. The SCDE administers the program through its Office of Career and Technology Education (OCTE).
The following websites provide more information and many additional resources for students considering a career in health care.
- National HOSA Website
- South Carolina Department of Education
- South Carolina Health Science Education
- National Consortium for Health Science Education
- Association for Career & Technical Education
- South Carolina Hospital Association
- Prisma Health, Start Your Healthcare Career
- Sisters of Charity Providence Hospitals & School of Cardiovascular Diagnostics at Providence Heart Institute
- Learning Labs
- Midlands Education & Business Alliance
- New Day Professional Services
- USC training and workforce development